Below is an overview of our events for NAMI JeffCo. For specific dates and times, please see our Calendar page.
NAMI Team Gets to Work at UGN Day of Caring
NAMI team members traditionally take part in the Annual Day of Caring event led by United Good Neighbors. In 2015 we helped to spruce up Working Image. Day of Caring is an opportunity for friends or colleagues to engage in a volunteer project with an organization that your donation to UGN helps to support. Projects are 2-3 hours in length and range from grounds maintenance to sorting clothing. For more information, please go to: UGN Day of Caring
Annual Summer Potluck Support Group Meeting
Every summer we gather for our annual potluck picnic at HJ Carroll Park in the Rotary Pavilion. The support group begins at 6 PM so that we can finish at 8 PM while it is still light. Coffee, tea, paper plates, cups, and napkins are provided. Bring a dish to share and a drink of your choice. Be sure to bring warm clothes and blankets and a folding chair for the meeting. Please bring a musical instrument, songbooks, poetry or whatever you would like to share. This is a chance to visit with members who do not always attend meetings.
NAMI Jeffco FREE FILM Showing
Our 2015 event: On Sunday, October 18 at noon at the Rose Theatre, NAMI Jeffco hosted a FREE showing of Hidden Pictures. We also celebrated NAMI Jeffco’s 10th anniversary here in Jefferson County.
Award-winning filmmaker and physician Delaney Ruston, who grew up in the shadow of her dad’s schizophrenia, explores the hidden struggles faced by the 450 million people living with mental illness worldwide. Through deeply personal stories involving bipolar illness, depression, schizophrenia and anxiety in India, China, Africa, France and the US, Hidden Pictures reveals a global epidemic of silence around mental illness, as well as moments of profound compassion and remarkable change.
Our annual film showings are offered FREE to the public to honor National Mental Illness Awareness Week. NAMI Jeffco members are on hand to answer questions. No advance tickets, so we suggest you get here early to save your seat!
Mental Illness Awareness Week October Proclamations
In 1990, the U.S. Congress established the first full week of October as Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW) in recognition of NAMI’s efforts to raise mental illness awareness. Since 1990, mental health advocates across the country have joined together during the first full week of October in sponsoring many kinds of activities.
MIAW has become a NAMI tradition. It presents an opportunity to all NAMI state organizations and affiliates across the country to work together in communities to achieve the NAMI mission through outreach, education and advocacy. In conjunction with MIAW, The National Day of Prayer for Mental Illness Recovery and Understanding is held on the Tuesday of MIAW.
NAMI Jefferson County sponsors a free public educational event such as a feature film about mental illness during MIAW week. Our affiliate receives a Proclamation from the Port Townsend City Council and the Jefferson County Board of Commissioners designating the first full week in October as Mental Illness Awareness Week. This Proclamation recognizes the importance of raising awareness of mental illness in our community and county. See the “Calendar” page for more information about these events.
NAMI Jeffco’s Elaine Nelson Receives State Award
On August 17, 2014, Elaine Nelson Received “Board Member of the Year” Award from NAMI Washington at the State Conference in Vancouver, Washington. Elaine was nominated because of her many years of service to NAMI Jeffco. She served as President of the Board for 6 years, but was instrumental in expanding the work of the affiliate, handling Communications, adding a Writing Workshop, and instituting the MIAW FREE FILM showing in the Fall.
NAMI Jefferson County December Potluck
On the 1st Wednesday of December each year from 6 PM to 9 PM at Discovery Behavioral Healthcare, 884 N. Park Ave. in Port Townsend, WA (in the business park behind the Goodwill), NAMI Jeffco holds an annual Christmas potluck. The potluck begins at 6 PM with conversation and sharing of the meal. At 7 PM our regular support group begins.
Coffee, tea, paper plates, cups and napkins will be provided. Bring a dish to share and a drink of your choice.
Western State Hospital Gift Giving
At our December potluck, we collect items to be given as gifts to patients of Western State Hosptital in Seattle, WA.
- Sweatshirts including with designs, zippers or snaps, plus hoodies, sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, flannel shirts, dress shirts, T-shirts, blouses, dresses (any wording should be positive)
- Coats, jackets, sweatpants, up to 4X, slacks (2X, 3X, 4X, 5X)
- Sleep wear and bathrobes with buttons or snaps
- Slip-on or Velcro shoes and slippers (without laces)
- Baseball hats, stocking hats, gloves
NO belts, scarves, or shoes with laces, please!
We are most in need of sizes XL, XXL, and bigger.
- Non-toxic washable adult art supplies
- Games, electronic games, travel games (such as playing cards, dominos, checkers, chess, word scramble, crosswords, word find, etc.)
- CDs (all types of music)
- Battery operated clocks and/or radios
- Notebooks, paper, tablets, journals, sketchpads (without wire spirals)
- Books, magazines, calendars
Also, NO back scratchers, pens or pencils, candles, lighters, or anything with cords.
Food (All food products must be pre-packaged. NO glass or metal containers, please!)
- Hickory Farms packages
- Soda (sugar-free)
- Beef jerky/beef sticks
- Gum, candy (sugar-free)
- Cookies (sugar-free), chips, crackers
- Trail mix, nuts, fruit snacks, etc.
- Pre-paid gift cards (Albertson’s, McDonald’s, Starbucks, etc.)
Miscellaneous/Care (NO glass containers, please! Also, NO back scratchers, candles, lighters, or anything with cords, please!)
- Women’s hair care, lotions, perfume (plastic containers only)
- Men’s cologne/aftershave (plastic containers only)
- African American hair products
- Clutch purses, wallets, make-up bags
- Sports memorabilia (Seahawks/Mariners)
- Lap/throw blankets
- Stuffed animals
- Throw pillows
1) All perfume and cologne must be in PLASTIC CONTAINERS, NO GLASS PLEASE!
2) Please remember all food products have to be pre-packaged
3) Clothing items needed are mostly extra-large, XX-large, and larger
4) No belts, no scarves, no back scratchers, no shoes with shoelaces